Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog was outside running along our fence line after the

Customer Question

My dog was outside running along our fence line after the neighbors dog and came to the back door with a bloody nose that included a small clot. He is also coughing periodically.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky is 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: He is on Phenobarbital for seizures and has been for 8 years now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rocky. Is the fence a type in which Rocky could lodge his nose and the other dog then latch on to it? Bleeding into the back of his throat could result in coughing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No the fence is not one that could have caused it.Tthere doesn't appear to be any scrapes or cuts

Thank you for the additional information. Is there possible exposure to an anticoagulant rodenticide such as d-CON? Such a poisoning can cause bleeding into the lungs resulting in coughing. Can you tell if the epistaxis (bloody nose) involves both nostrils or just one?