Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have a 11 year old lab and earlier today she was given a

Customer Question

Hey Lisa,
I have a 11 year old lab and earlier today she was given a Rachel Ray chew bone. While eating it, she started to choke and coughed it up. Now she is dry heaving and of and on coughing up a white mucus. She ate dinner, been laying down and walking around, and having water. since she originally choked, she has not thrown up any food. What should I do or give her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry that Lisa is not available but I will try to help.

Most likely this bone has irritated portions of her esophagus which is causing her some pain. it is a good sign that she still wants to eat but there is irritation that will have to heal. The best thing to do for now is to give your gal Pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs and fast her for 12 hrs. This will allow her digestive tract to calm down and heal. After the fast, only feed her a bland diet if rice and boiled chicken. Then wean her back to her regular meal once she is feeling better.

If this is not enough, you will have to have your vet examine your gal to be sure we have not missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****