PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has been coughing for a few weeks and has a lump on

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has been coughing for a few weeks and has a lump on her throat - I took her to the vet yesterday they did blood work and everything came back good...Monday we r going back for X-rays
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I'm trying to figure out what the possibilities could be - is cancer a large possibly? :(
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: she has been totally normal except coughing and occasionally eating grass
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Where on her throat is the lump located?
2) Does the coughing seem to be associated with the lump? Was it happening before the lump was found?
3) Can you attach pictures of where the lump is located?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure if the lump and cough are associated - the lump is not visible on the outside so it must be internal. The vet felt it yesterday and showed it to me. She was at the vet in Feb for her regular check up and everything was fine. It is located at right where her chin and neck meet

Is it soft or hard?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like you may be describing a lymph node. And, if so, it's very possible that this could be cancer. Lymphoma is often first diagnosed by enlarged lymph nodes.

If the x-ray does not show anything, your vet may discuss sedating your companion and taking a biopsy/full removal of the lymph node (or mass, if its not a lymph node) to determine what it is. Often when we send these to the lab for diagnosis we get a recommended treatment plan that comes back from the lab so that we can inform the owner of the best route of treatment.

The coughing itself could certainly be linked to this mass moving the normal anatomy of the neck around and causing irritation. As well, if this is cancer it could be metastatic with cancer in the chest...which can also cause coughing, as well.

I think your vet has given you the right recommendations here to have some chest and probably neck x-rays done to see what might be underlying before pushing too hard for other major treatments.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?