How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 24471
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister broke up partylite candles and spread on the

Customer Question

My sister broke up partylite candles and spread on the patio. If the dogs ingest that, is that poisonous to their systems
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: No, they have not been out on patio to step in it yet, but am worried about it being on their paws and then they lick them.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: One of the dogs has Cushing so worry about her all the time. The other dog just has a tendency to get into everything. I want to make sure that it will not make them sick or be toxic to the dogs. Do I need to take them to emergency vet clinic?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

The waxes, paraffin, and perfumes in these candles aren't considered toxic when ingested but could have a laxative effect if enough were ingested. An ER visit wouldn't be necessary if your dogs ingested them. The tincture of time should suffice to normalize them. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.