How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4585
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164
Type Your Dog Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate part of a bag of minature choc bars, doesn't seem

Customer Question

My dog ate part of a bag of minature choc bars, doesn't seem to be showing any signs of toxicity. happened last night, he weighs about 16 pounds and is 13 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: He has been a very healthy dog, he is a Bichon
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How many of these miniature chocolate bars were eaten roughly?
2) How many oz per bar?
3) What type of chocolate? Milk? Dark?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
maybe 8-10 don`t know they were the miniature and it had both milk and dark
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

What brand are the chocolates?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hershys
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

From what I can find on the internet, we can assume that the bars weigh about 1/2oz. Doing the math, this would mean that if he ate 10 of the bars, he would have ingested roughly 5oz of chocolate.

When I calculate this on the "safe" side, using only the milk chocolate as a factor, there's a risk of moderate to severe reaction.

When I calculate this on the more severe side, using just the dark chocolate as a factor, there is a very severe reaction.

It would have been useful to have made him vomit after the ingestion. Here are signs to watch for:

  • Vomiting
  • Tremors in muscles
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Hyperthermia
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Death


I would recommend erring on the side of caution and taking him to your local vet promptly for treatment because the risk of a severe reaction is so high in his situation. If you need help finding a location, let me know by posting back your city, state and zip code.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy