PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog keeps yelping while she's trying to poo. After she

Customer Question

My dog keeps yelping while she's trying to poo. After she yelps for a bit she gives up and tries again later but still yelps when trying
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** shes 12 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dakota?
Customer: Um no. She did get her vaccinations 2 weeks ago if that helps
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing any item from her rectum?
2) Any history of foreign body ingestion?
3) Any vomiting?
4) Still eating?
5) Has she produced any stool at all? If so, what was the consistency?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We cant see anything in her rectum
She has been caught chewing on rocks, cans and irrigation
She hasnt been vomitting
Yes she is still eatting regularly
She has been passing stools but all of her stools are small and hard

It sounds like she is having some constipation. If this persists, she needs to go to a veterinarian to be checked it. One thing we worry about is that dogs can ingest things that won't pass. In this case, surgical removal may be needed. Another concern we have with straining is that a dog's colorectal tissue may prolapse, moving from inside of the body to the outside.

To help her go, you can give 1 tsp of mineral oil per 10# ***** body weight. You can also help to bulk her stool up by adding pumpkin to her food (use pure canned pumpkin). The mineral oil can be dosed like this once to twice daily.

If she does not have a bowel movement tomorrow that produces more stool, I would urge you to have her examined. She could possibly be in need of an enema. The route the vet would take to treat her would depend on her symptoms at the time of presentation. And, of course, if she worsens make sure to have her examined sooner.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?