How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7128
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He ate 6-8 seedless whit grapes 3 hours ago. I induces

Customer Question

He ate 6-8 seedless whit grapes 3 hours ago. I induces vomiting by giving him 4 teaspoons of hydrogen peri oxide an hour ago. He vomited about six grapes. What next? He is a six year old 25 pound cocker spaniel.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bentley. I think he vomited the grapes he ate.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?
Customer: He had a bout of what they called old dog dies ease last May. He only has a head tilt. He fully recovered his coordination.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Bentley. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Good on you for inducing vomiting so quickly here with Bentley. It sounds like you realize that grapes are toxic to dogs, and inducing vomiting was the right thing to do. It sounds as though he has vomited nearly all of these grapes. Assuming he ate 8 - 10 grapes and he potentially still has a couple of grapes in his GI tract, the good news is this is unlikely to cause an issue for your boy. The toxic dose of grapes for a 20lb dog would be around 3.6 ounces. Given Bentley has vomited up the majority of the grapes he ate, then the remainder (from what you have stipulated) wouldn't be enough to cause an issue in your boy.

He likely has some nausea after this vomiting however, so you may want to try your boy with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

If on the other hand, you aren't sure how many grapes your boy could have ingested, please play it safe and get him seen by your local ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

How has Bentley been over the last few days? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Related Dog Questions