Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog is not eating and drinks water peeing a lot but has

Customer Question

my dog is not eating and drinks water peeing a lot but has no energy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is tank he is an English bulldog and he will be10 years old he was very active just 2 days ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tank?
Customer: we took him to the vet today they ran all the test and had 2 ivs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Tank.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• What did they tell you about Tank's blood tests?
  • Did the blood tests include a test for diabetes?
  • What is your question for me?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All test ran came back negative. Dog will not eat anything. I have tryed everything from treats to chicken. Vet did prostate exam, check for worms. Vet have him an IV today no change
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I want to be as helpful as possible because it sounds like you're in a really tough situation with your dog being so sick.

What is your question for me tonight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They also did a CBC and a blood chemistry. Fluids-NaCl IV. Also a HW Occult Test Negative X/exam. Gave dog Metronidazole 500 mg and Cerenia 60mg
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not received a answer yet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Yes, I would like to provide you with an answer, but I haven't received a question yet. I apologize if there has been something lost in the messaging system.

What is your question for me tonight, please?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I've received the background on the symptoms your dog is showing and the results of your trip to the vet today, but no question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After all the work at the Vet they send me home with a sick dog. He is peeing non-stop. Can I leave him in my garage which is warm in North Carolina
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also he will not eat anything
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Just checking to make sure I understand correctly.

Your question for me is if it's okay to leave him in your garage?

How warm is it in your garage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Question: my Vet said she has no idea what is wrong with my dog. Do you have any idea what is wrong with my dog. Next question what can I do to get him better? Question job can I get him to eat as the X-rays show there is no product for Tank to poop out and he keeps trying
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Got your questions. Typing in answers now. This will take a few minutes, but rest assured I will do my best to help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Waiting for reply
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Typing as fast as I can. Apologies. Will paste in what I have so far...

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

First of all, I'm so sorry your vet told you she has no idea. That's now how it's supposed to work. While it's impossible for me to judge accurately from this point of view, this could be a red flag that this vet isn't the right one for you or your dog. The appropriate way to handle a situation like this is to say, "These are the things that could cause these symptoms in your dog. We'll run tests X, Y, and Z to narrow down the list."

And proceed from there.

I'll try to take it from and tell you what's left on that list.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I don't text and not sure what I am doing
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

The most likely things to cause these symptoms in a 10-year-old English bulldog yet have no abnormalities show up on a CBC and blood chemistry test are:

• adrenal gland disease (Cushings or Addisons)
  • Thyroid disease
  • Parathyroid disease
  • Pancreatitis
  • Diabetes Insipidus (not "sugar diabetes")
  • Some types of cancer

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

So, the right thing to do when the initial screening tests rule out the more common illnesses that cause these symptoms (things like diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes), kidney disease, and liver disease), is to look harder with additional testing.

If these types of things are beyond the skill level and/or experience of your current veterinarian, the appropriate thing for them to do is to refer you to someone who can. Sometimes a referral to a specialist is in order, but - in my opinion - there are still some steps that a regular veterinarian could take to get to the bottom of the issue for Tank.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Your next question was what can you do to get him better. The answer to that is provided above. In order to know what kind of treatment he needs, you need a vet who can do the appropriate additional testing to get you an actual diagnosis.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

In regards ***** ***** you can get him to eat... that still comes down to the same thing. You need an actual diagnosis. Tank isn't eating because he is ill. Once a diagnosis is made an appropriate treatment plan can be devised. Once he's getting the right treatment and feels better, his appetite will return.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this point? I want to be as helpful as possible because it sounds like you're in a really tough situation.

The bot***** *****ne is your dog needs more intensive medical care, and I want to do all I can to help you find that.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I will be going offline for the evening shortly, but will look for your reply when I log in tomorrow. Thank you, ***** ***** luck with your dog.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am very upset, I have a sick dog and out over $500. I am a retired disable vet and this dog is my family. I will seek another vet tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I know this is a very terrible and upsetting situation. Your dog must mean the world to you, yet he is very sick and in need of aggressive medical care.

I am happy to do all I can to help you navigate this difficult circumstance. Please know that you can return to this thread and continue to post if you have additional questions as you continue to pursue his care and treatment. I want to be as helpful as I can.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions. I'll be here for you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going with Tank and to ask if there is anything else I can do to help. I've been worried about you both.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I think Tank will be ok. He seems to be coming around now
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

I am so relieved to hear this. This is wonderful news! Did he end up passing anything unusual?

Is he back to urinating only normally?