Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 7 week old puppy who has a yellow crust around the

Customer Question

I have a 7 week old puppy who has a yellow crust around the tip of his ears it flakes off if you rub it but also a little bit of hair comes off. He doesn't seem to itch it violently and when I rubbed it his legs didn't move in a scratching motion. Just trying to get an idea if this may be mange and how serious is it. Can it wait a few days till the vets is open or do I need to drive him to the animal clinic today. Thanks in advance !!!
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now that I look closer he also has thin spots and dry skin on his eyelids.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Dustin, it can still represent sarcoptic mange (scabies) but I would expect to see the pinnal pedal reflex if that were the case: rubbing of the ear margin between thumb and forefinger may elicit a scratch reflex which is highly suggestive of scabies with approximately 80% accuracy. Please look at his hocks, elbows, and ventral abdomen and chest for me. These are other common areas affected by scabies. The thin spots and eyelid changes are more indicative of demodicosis - the Demodex mange mite rather than the sarcoptic mange mite.

In either event, yes, it can wait for a few days. These manges aren't considered emergencies. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His hocks, elbows , and abdomen are clear of any patchiness or dry skin. If it were scabies do my wife and I need to worry about ourselves and how easy of a cure will it be for him ?

Thank you for the additional information. Scabies is highly contagious to other pets and you. It doesn't live on you, however, and so you might experience a transient itchy rash (usually on your abdomen) but little else. It's easy to treat; I prefer oral ivermectin every 7 days for 4-6 weeks. Please continue our conversation if you wish.