Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My 16 lbs puppy just had a lap spay on Tues - she also has

Customer Question

My 16 lbs puppy just had a lap spay on Tues - she also has SM - she has been on Tramadol since she was 3 mos old. She is not in pain - the Tram is not helping. Can she safely take NORCO 1/2 tab 3 times a day for a few days?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scarlett
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scarlett?
Customer: She has CM SM (Syringomelia) she is on Tramadol 50 mg every 6 - 8 hrs and Amantadine every 24 hours. Her lap spay on Tues Aug 2nd had complications - thus she is in more pain than usual.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

HI there,

Dogs can not take Norco because for the acetominophen in it.

If she is in that much pain I would call the vet.

They could prescribe a fentanyl patch that is a slow release opiate and stronger than tramadol.

Or your vet could prescribe something stronger than Tramadol that does not contain acetominophen.

But you will have to contact your vet because no one can prescribe without seeing a pet in person and your regular vet has all the records and all the history.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant to say she is NOW in pain. The Tramadol is not helping. It is the VET who recommended the NORCO - for her - this is why I am concerned. He lap spayed her on Tuesday - the procedure did not go well and now she is MORE pain so he prescribed NORCO - and I am VERY concerned because it has Tylenol in it. So, I am getting nowhere.

Ugh, that is not good.

So acetominphen is toxic at about 50 mg per pound of dog or higher.

But toxicity can be seen with repeated exposure.

I would use it just for a few days if your vet said it was ok and told you how much to use.