Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 50 lb dog just ate a 1.76 oz simple truth mint chocolate

Customer Question

My 50 lb dog just ate a 1.76 oz simple truth mint chocolate protein bar, should she be rushed to the vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Your question was somehow posted in the General category - where dog experts could not access it- instead of the Dog category. It was just moved to the proper category, so I can now respond to you.. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in dog health. Do you still need help? If so, have you noticed anything unusual with your dog?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I called animal poison control and they said she should be fine, thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. Had you not contacted them, that's what I would have told you, as well. The American Veterinary Medical Association site says it would be 1/2 oz. of baking chocolate per pound of the dog's weight. Your dog had much less than that.

So, it seems that according to respected authorities, your dog should be fine. Just to be extra safe, keep an eye on her for the next few hours. If you see increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity, you should contact an emergency clinic. That's probably not too likely, but it's good to know the symptoms. I certainly wouldn't expect her to have any problems.

If you have more concerns about this, just let me know.