PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have 2 dogs... one is 22 pounds, and has Addison's. We

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs... one is 22 pounds, and has Addison's. We give him a dose pf prednisone every other day. This morning, he spit out the "treat" where the pred was buried, and our other dog picked it up and ate it. She is only 9 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The one who ingested the pred? Mini. She is a chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: nope. She is a healthy 8 year old, chi, who weighs 9 pounds (1/2 of the size of the dog who is perscribed the medication)
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How many milligrams of prednisone did the 9# ***** receive?
2) When was this ingested?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She ate it 10 min ago

How many milligrams?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She ate .08mg about 15 min ago

If she consumed only 0.08mg, this is a very tiny dosage for a dog her size. She could consume up to about 9mg safely and still be within a 'safe' treatment dosage for a dog her size.

If you wish to induce vomiting, you certainly can but there should be very few adverse effects from this type of ingestion. If you do wish to induce vomiting, use a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide and follow the directions here:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: