Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Hes vomiting i spray cleaning bleach on the floor i think he

Customer Question

Hes vomiting i spray cleaning bleach on the floor i think he lick it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I have given him milk
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Butters and 14 or 16
JA: How old is Butters?
Customer: 15 i think
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Butters?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you think he licked bleach, you were right to give milk to help neutralize the bleach. As well, we'd want to make sure we are rinsing his mouth to flush out any residue from the cleaner before it can cause ulcers in the mouth.

Otherwise, if you don't think he had much, you can try supportive care at this point. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @,or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, we need to tread with care here. If he settles, we are happy. But if he cannot, develops belly pain, oral ulcers, paling gums or black stools (all signs of damage from the bleach), then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, the severity of the damage and start gastroprotectants, gut safe pain relief, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this and help the stomach heal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.