Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Dog may have swallowed a piece of glass. What do I do?

Customer Question

I think my 5 year old dog Piper may have swallowed a small piece of glass. She is straining a little to poop and very little soft poop comes out. No blood or dark color.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.
I know you must be very concerned about this, the situation is that dogs are very prone to swallowing various objects but I can tell you that I have known sharp objects like glass pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before this, however as you are aware there is an obvious danger. Here is some general advice based on my previous experience:
1. Do not try to make Piper sick to recover the object as sharp objects like glass can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.
2. Feed her quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato now to try and cushion the glass as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective
3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's feces over the next few days to make sure the fragment has passed.
4. However be aware that though that there is a potential for a problem to occur here due to damage to the intestinal tract so monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. That said in my experience surprisingly most dog do seem to get away with these sorts of incidents.
5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Piper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.