Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a daschund and i noticed her not wagging her tail. I

Customer Question

I have a daschund and i noticed her not wagging her tail. I tried to lift her tail to see if I could see what was wrong and she screamed out in pain and went and got in her bed and won't get up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella
JA: How old is Bella?
Customer: 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No. She is very healthy and active.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

Does Bella go swimming at all?

Does she keep that tail tucked between her legs?

Have you noticed her scooting her bottom on the ground?

Any problems defecating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help. She is my child and I am panicking. She does not swim, she hates water.
Today she is keeping her tail tucked.
She hasn't been scooting, I just had her glands squeezed 2 weeks ago.
I work 12 hours a day and my mom stays with her and she hasn't noticed her having problems defecating.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Dogs use their tails to express many things, so there could be a multitude of reasons why she's got a sad tail, but because this came on so suddenly, I'm prone to thinking it could be a case of 'limber tail'...or as it's called in Northern Minnesota, "Lab Tail".

We see many dogs with these flaccid, painful tails and although the majority of the time, we see it on Labs, there isn't really a breed restriction on what breed will get it. I've seen everything from Chihuahuas to Springers with Lab Tail.

You can find more information on the problem here:

As a general rule, if this is 'lab tail', at our practice we treat with rest and anti-inflammatories, so you may want to give your vet a call in the morning and just ask if they'd send out pain medications for her. Something like Rimadyl or Metacam (both of which are Aspirin) are good options.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?