Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Lump on tail, and noticing when she trys to jump up on

Customer Question

lump on tail, and noticing when she trys to jump up on things she is very miscalculating, I know she fell off the couch this weekend.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: cubby, age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cubby?
Customer: she is on antibiotics for crystals, and urine infection
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

where on the tail is this lump? Near the back, midway on the tail or near the end?

What breed is Cubby?

Is she spayed?

Is she overweight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is a borderdoodle lump is about 2 inches from base of tail, on back. she is spayed and yes a little chubby

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It may be that she injured her tail perhaps in the fall or previously leading to the lump, so you will want to check her tail over well to check for a break. A puncture wound can also become infected and lead to an abscess which will form a lump and be quite painful. The pain from the stretching of the skin can affect her behavior when it comes to jumping. You can read about abscesses here:

Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.

If it isn't a break, I'd suspect the sebaceous glands myself. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick note to see how Cubby is doing. I also hope you found my answer helpful and will let me know if you did as feedback is Always helpful.