Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy is 8 weeks and has been through one round of

Customer Question

My puppy is 8 weeks and has been through one round of antibiotics for a UTI. She still has leaking colorless and odorless fluid from vagina. And has a bumpy rough belly... Guessing it's from the moisture. We have started a second round of meds. I don't believe we have done a culture yet. What steps should I talk to my vet about. This dog will be a breeder for red standard poodles. Should this be a problem in the future?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your standard poodle?
Customer: Her littler mate had the same problem and seems to be doing much better
JA: What is the standard poodle's name?
Customer: Cherry
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Have any urine tests been done?

Did her vet collect any urine by using a needle/syringe and taking it directly from the bladder?

Does she pass normal streams of urine? Or go more often only passing small volumes?

Does she leak when sleeping?

Does it look thick like mucus or is it the same as her urine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have not taken urine directly from the bladder. I do believe they have not done any urine testing. She seems to pass normal streams of urine but very small
And more frequent than usual. I
She appears to be wet All the time.
Currently it's has been clear and orderless no mucus.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know if I should give it a few days on the new meds or go ahead and take her in
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and have quite a bit to type. I will post my thoughts in full shortly.

Speak to you again soon (please disregard the auto-phone offer),

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Now based on the signs you have reported, we have a few concerns for Cherry.

We can certainly see urinary leakage and increased urinary frequency with reduced urine volumes in pups with bladder infections. Though often they will strain, show discomfort, and/or pass blood or discolored urine. That said, we can also see these signs with urinary crystal issues, urinary sphincter weakness (usually they are older for this one), in pups with congenital kidney compromise, and due to misplacement of the ureters (the connection between the bladder and the kidneys). And I have to note that if she is a future breeding dog, we need to get to the root of this since some of these issues would make her unsuitable for breeding.

Now with this all in mind, I do feel that it is not ideal to be throwing course after course of antibiotics at this. It may help with her moist dermatitis from urine scalding but its more guessing then targeted treatment. Instead, it would be better for her vet to collect a sterile urine sample via cystocentesis (using a needle/syringe). This can be analysed for signs of crystals, kidney casts (which we can see with kidney compromise), white blood cells/blood/bacteria (to suggest infection present), and the concentration can be checked (a marker of kidney function and ideal here if this is clear/dilute). Furthermore, if the sample is taken with sterile technique, then it can be culture to see what bacteria is present. And if this is done any bacteria can be ID’d and sensitivity testing can be done to see what antibiotic it is vulnerable to. So, the guesswork would be removed and this could be treated effectively if an infection was confirmed.

Otherwise, if this urine testing was all normal and no infection was found, then we’d want her vet to ultrasound her bladder. This helps us check for inflammation, stones, and changes to the bladder and kidney. It will also let us see if her ureters are in the right place (or on the wrong side of her urinary sphincter). If that last one is an issue, then I would note that they can be surgically relocated to cure this for her; though as this tends to be genetic we’d not want to breed from her.

Overall, if she has already been on a course of antibiotics without improvement and leaks all the time, I do feel it would be best to work-up her case properly. So, I would suggest ringing her vet at this stage to discuss these tests. That way we can make sure we are moving in the right direction to clear any infection present but also determine if there is a bigger issue that we must also address for Cherry.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet