Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is a 9yr old Maltese that we have adopted from a

Customer Question

My dog is a 9yr old Maltese that we have adopted from a woman who had to move. We were told she was spayed and have had her for 8 mos. Recently she has started bleeding vaginally a bit - mostly mixed with her own saliva because she has been licking a lot - she normally loves to be held but is becoming irritable which is unusual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I don't know - she's very loving but is starting to growl- here eating and bathroom habits haven't changed I just believe she's become uncomfortable -
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I share your concern about your wee lass being in discomfort here and this causing her behavioral signs.

Now if she is passing blood vaginally and is licking excessively, this raises a few concerns. First, if she hadn't been spayed, we'd have to be concerned about a heat/season or a uterine infection. If we are absolutely sure she was spayed (ie you have paperwork documenting it), then we'd rule this out. Otherwise, the risk of those depends on whether you trust the honest of her previous owner.

That aside, these signs also fit with a uterine stump infection (which we can see in spayed dogs), but also a bladder infection (the most common), kidney infection, bladder stones, urinary crystal issues, or tumor in the urinary or vaginal tracts. So, we do have some worries here.

With this all in mind and since her growling suggests that she is sore, we 'd want to have her checked by her vet at this stage. If you can obtain a urine sample, that can also be checked for crystals, bladder tumor cells, kidney casts, and infection. (You can even submit that before having her seen to rule out causes if you wish to). In either case based on their findings, we will know which is present and can start treatment to address this. Her vet can start dog safe pain relief absolutely but potentially also antibiotics for infection, diet changes for crystals and stones, and symptomatic care.

Overall, her signs raise some serious concerns. Hopefully, the owner was honest regarding her spay status but otherwise we need to consider these other issues and address them for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )