How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 23821
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Help! Dog ingested a bottle of Vitamin E and now has diarrhea.

Customer Question

My daughter’s 10 years old dog, Brady just ingested a bottle of Vitamin E human grade vitamins and has mad diarrhea. Can he overdose? Does he need to see a vet? What to do?
Vet says pedialyte will do the job.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Please induce emesis in Brady with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight with a small poultry baster placed between Brady's cheek teeth and cheek. Brady should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Very large overdoses of vitamin E can cause coagulopathies (disorders of blood clotting). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.