PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

15 year old rhodesian. arthritis likely. swings her hips to

Customer Question

15 year old rhodesian. arthritis likely. swings her hips to the side, some trouble walking. looking into building or buying a body splint that wraps around her ribs/chest, and provides rigid splints along her sides running to her back hips to keep them aligned. ever heard of such a thing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: cecil. thanks for asking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cecil?
Customer: she is on tramadol already.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

There are quite a few braces out there that offer support to dogs that have weakness in their hind ends. The one that sounds the most similar to me is the Hip Hound which you can view here:

t utilizes a body-wide support system to help support the hips. Instead of splints running down the sides, there's a strap that runs up the back and is "shortened" to keep the hips in proper position.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I appreciate the suggestion, I'll look into it. Assuming I still get a reply from a vet as well. Thanks.

I can open your question for others to reply. Unfortunately, your question did not make it to the vet board. It made it to the pet board, which is where it was answered.

Good luck with your companion

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told a vet would answer, and my payment is contingent on that offer. I do appreciate your response, but the website mis represented what would happen.