Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have a 6 month old Female PureBred Yellow Lab. Yesterday

Customer Question

We have a 6 month old Female PureBred Yellow Lab. Yesterday morning I spotted what looks like a bug bite on her groin area. Last night I checked on it and it had grown in size. This morning I checked it again and it had grown in size again. It is about the size of a nickel and almost cyst like. She has also been throwing up on and off since Saturday night. This morning her ears were cold to the touch. What can this be and what should we be doing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Heather, I would entertain the diagnosis of a local and systemic hypersensitivity reaction. These usually abate unaided within 36 hours but if it persists Oakley's vet can administer a rapid acting glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone by needle.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump/redness to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please check the photo(s) before uploading to make sure that they're in focus.

Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oakley. How is everything going?