PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is breathing like wheezing. What do I do?

Customer Question

When sleeping hear him breathing sounding like wheezing.
His name is Nick and he is 3 years old.
I give him a heartworm pill every month. He is a rescue dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.
Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you attach a video of the wheezing sound?
2) How long has this been a concern?
3) What breed is he?
4) Any other medications being given?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have a video of the wheezing sound.
For at least a month or so.
Dachshund
Blueguard heart worm meds, once a month
Without being able to see what you're seeing and hear what you're hearing, my abilities are limited.
I can tell you that its very common during the summer months for dogs to have problems with allergies and owners commonly complain of wheezing or coughing, sometimes nasal discharge, etc. I would recommend trying some antihistamines to see if this helps. I like, use and recommend Zyrtec. You can find dosing of safe OTC human antihistamines for pets here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/
If this does not help, I would recommend an exam to see if there might be some airway disease present which isn't related to allergies. Your vet may recommend doing x-rays at this time. Inflammation very often causes the wheezing sound that we hear and different medications may be needed for effective treatment.
Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.