Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cockapoo just came back from being boarded. He seemed

Customer Question

My cockapoo just came back from being boarded. He seemed fine during the car ride home, but later in the evening seemed a little wheezy/cough/sneezy. Two things:
1. Could it be a food allergy? They gave him tripe on top of his limited ingredient regular food to entice him to eat since he was hunger striking.
2. We get him groomed at the same place. Last time we picked him up from grooming, he was somewhat similar (wheezy/coughing) for a couple of days. He got a bath this time around too (no cut though) Could it be allergies to the shampoo etc? How long can that last?
He is also chewing his front paws
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is this guy's name? Do you feel that he's been chewing his feet more prior to this grooming? Is he one that has ear issues? Do you see any nasal or eye discharge?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His name is***** feet chewing prior to grooming. He has more Cocker ears so yes he has had ear infections before but not a huge deal. He regularly has eye discharge as well. Neither his ears or eyes seem particularly irritated. We give him limited ingredient food because he seems to have digestive sensitivity and the limited ingredient appears to keep his bowels normal. He has eaten since getting home yesterday, but is not enthusiastically gobbling down his food. Similar to last time he came back from groomers. I'm trying to get an idea of if he could be having a reaction to the grooming process, or if it is more likely an illness. Just seems odd he had similar symptoms after getting groomed at the same place last time. If it could be allergies, I'd like to bring it up with the groomer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
PS to clarify, he went to the same place and was boarded over two days this time, not just groomed. However they bathed him prior to us picking him up.

If he's not having any similar situation at home or in other environments than after he gets boarded and groomed, then there has to be some suspicion that the environment there has something he's reacting too. Could he be more sensitive to something that was used on him? A particular shampoo or product? Could he have a little allergy to something that he's exposed to there as far as plants / grasses / pollens that aren't his his immediate environment? Could he be reacting to something that he's eating as a treat or such? These are considerations that I'd have. My suspicion is maybe he's overly sensitive to the shampoo that is being used for the bathing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!

I'm glad to help and hope everything improves / returns to normal like the previous time. If there is some "contact" irritant still on the skin / fur, you could do a quick bath with cool water at home to help rinse anything off.