Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Spike has irregular panting, a lot of slobber, and runny

Customer Question

Spike has irregular panting, a lot of slobber, and runny nose. this is even when he just lays around. appetite is a little off. He has always slobbered but now it seems to be extreme
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Spike is age 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spike?
Customer: We moved from Mich. to Arizona 2 years ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did the extreme panting begin?
2) How often do you see it?
3) What breed is Spike?
4) Is he taking any medication?
5) Is he still relatively active or is he intolerant of exercise?
6) Has he ever been diagnosed with a heart murmur?
7) Any vomiting?
8) Any coughing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 2 weeks, #2 all day off and on, #3 charpe and Rotweller mix, #4 no meds, #5Not very active, #6 No diag. for hear murmur,#7 no vomiting #8 no coughing

At 9 years of age, there are a few things we need to rule out.

1) Panting due to pain, such as arthritis.
2) Panting due to an underlying condition, such as hypothyroidism, cardiac anomaly, heart worms, etc.

Because this has been a problem for an extended period of time, I would recommend that you have him evaluated by a veterinarian, some blood work performed and possibly also some x-rays. Based on what the lab work and x-rays show, Spike may qualify to start some canine-safe NSAID therapy if this is due to arthritis, oral hormone therapy if due to hypothyroidism, etc. Once the underlying cause of the panting is found, it can be treated and symptoms typically resolve fairly quickly.

Let me know if I can help you further.