Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 12 yo Basenji male, 26 lbs. is perfectly healthy other

Customer Question

My 12 yo Basenji male, 26 lbs. is perfectly healthy other than a cough (sounds like a goose honk) he developed about 6-8 months ago. He been to the vet for a full blood panel and exam. His lungs are clear. His blood panel was normal except for a very slightly elevated liver enzymes. He was given an antibiotic to cover possible virus'. He's still honking. He sleeps with us and wakes us around 5am with his coughing. We go for a potty walk 1/4 mile and go back to bed. It gradually subside by 7-8am. He may cough 10 times during the day at random times. I'm at a loss as is my vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Have any x-rays been performed?
2) What states has Neil resided in over the course of his lifetime?
3) Has a heart worm test been performed?
4) Any murmur detected?
5) Have any other meds been tried aside from the antibiotic?