Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I gave him a treat and he sounds like he is trying to cough

Customer Question

I gave him a treat and he sounds like he is trying to cough part of it up, like it is lodged in his throat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: but he seems to be breathing ok
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Bentley. He is 6 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

If the coughing/hacking started immediately following ingestion of the treat, and he is still continuing to do it, I consider that well worth an immediate veterinary examination.

If, by chance, it is lodged in his esophagus, you can try giving him some water or any fluid he is willing to drink to move it down.

Now, if it is not in his esophagus and it was possibly accidentally inhaled down his trachea, that would still warrant the more immediate veterinary examination and possibly a side view x-ray of his neck to see if the treat is visible and truly stuck.

Tough situation but hope that information helps.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

Hope everything is going okay?