Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Why do dogs lick toes when owner licks toes?

Customer Question

why do dogs lick toes when owner licks toes?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

I am not sure I understand your question. Can you explain a bit more what is going on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
every time I start leaving the house my dog licks my toes. I wear open toe shoes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can I stop his? does he have anxiety? separation anxiety?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that information. IF he is not destroying things when you leave it is doubtful he is suffering from separation anxiety however our dogs learn through our routine when we will be leaving as we are creatures of habit. So I suspect it is your dog's way of sending you off.

If you said you were coming home and finding things torn up, or urine on the floor then I would say it is from separation anxiety.

To stop it use your leave it command as leave it means to leave everything alone that the dog has its mind on. You can also spray your feet with grannicks bitter apple , found in pet stores or online, as most dogs do not like the taste and smell. Eventually the dog will think this is what your skin taste like and will stop licking.

If the dog only does this with open toed shoes he may just like your feet as many dogs are attracted to bare feet. my own dog included:)