PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Are you an actual human? My 7 lb pup chewed/ate some paper

Customer Question

Are you an actual human?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Veterinarian. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: My 7 lb pup chewed/ate some paper towel that might have had windex on it. He threw up but I am wondering what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit, he is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long ago did this occur?
2) How many times has he vomited?
3) Still eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Probably happen about an hour ago. He threw up once.he went and drank a bunch of water and is now laying on the sofa next to my boyfriend.

Vomiting is not uncommon after the ingestion of windex, which tends to be relatively non-toxic to pets because of its dilute form. If you continue to see vomiting, there are some steps you can take:

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If the vomiting does persist through being given famotidine, it would be best to enlist your vet's help with an exam and injectable medications that will stop the vomiting. The diet above will also be useful in helping your companion to pass the paper towels that were chewed up, which can sometimes block the intestines. After 3-5 days, you can then switch back to regular dog food.

If I can help further, please let me know. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If he doesn't throw up we need to give him the Pepcid?

It won't hurt to continue pepcid, in fact. But it's not necessary. These are precautions to take in the event that he does vomit again. The pepcid should help settle his stomach.