PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a 1.5 year old pitbull mix who has been on and off

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1.5 year old pitbull mix who has been on and off limping (his back left leg is hurt) for about a month. We took him to the vet who prescribed sedatives & anti-inflammatory medication, and it appeared to improve slightly. Tonight he ran around for a bit though, and now is putting no weight on the leg whatsoever.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Whiskey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Whiskey?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Did anyone evaluate the ligaments in Whiskey knee or was he just placed on medications?
2) Any pain while he's favoring the limb tonight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have taken him to the vet twice & were just told to limit activity to leash walks.And he doesn't appear to be in any pain, but wont put any pressure on that leg. He seemed to be improving over the past month, but after running for a bit tonight, he won't step on the leg.

I think it's time for someone to evaluate the ligaments in this boy's knee. ACL tears in pitbulls are very common because of their build and activity level. It doesn't take more than a wrong twist while playing or a bad landing. Because of the duration of his symptoms, this is my greatest worry.

Sometimes this can be done without sedation but some dogs require being sedated so they will relax enough to allow the vet to perform the procedure. If your vet does not offer ligament assessment, request to be referred to a center that does. In some cases, surgical repair is needed.

Between now and then, make sure that he is kept quiet with no more runs even if he feels well enough to do so. You should crate him, if you can, but at very least keep him off of furniture and other elevated surfaces lest he jump off and harm himself again. You can apply a cool pack to the injured limb for 10 minutes on and 20 minutes off a few times a day. Some dogs also appreciate heat (heating pad is fine, set on low) assuming you're there to monitor him during the process.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: