Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

He ate a plastic wrapper. He passed it. He is eating and

Customer Question

He ate a plastic wrapper. He passed it. He is eating and drinking but acting very quiet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie. He is almost two years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: He has not had a bowl movement in a day and a half. He is enjoying walking but jumping on sofa he does so carefully
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Having something like plastic move through the intestinal tract can cause inflammation of the bowels. Of course you have to wonder if there is anything else that he ate that may be causing illness.

If he is eating and drinking and has had no vomiting or diarrhea I would keep an eye on him, take his temperature rectally as a fever can mean infection. If all that is fine. I would fast him for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. The fasting and the bland diet will give his intestines the time they need to become less inflamed.

If you see that there is a temperature, he begins vomiting, has diarrhea, his gums are pale or white then do not hesitate to have him seen as there may be more inside that you are not aware of.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much. This information has been very helpful
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

If by tomorrow he has not had a bowel movement you can try giving a little canned pumpkin, two tablespoons in the am and two in the PM to help him pass some stool. It is possible the constipation is causing him pain. But again since he eats non food items be ware that something may still be in there