Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 5 year old Springer Spaniel is typically very active. We

Customer Question

Hi There. My 5 year old Springer Spaniel is typically very active. We just returned from a short trip to the mountains, where he ran outside all day. I witnessed him picking up a toad in his mouth, and quickly put it down. Could there have been something toxic on the toad's skin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the spaniel ate?
Customer: He has been eating and drinking normally. I did not witness him eating anything foreign. However, he did swim in a pond, and probably drank some of the water.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the spaniel?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Toads/ frogs give off a terrible taste that a dog is not going to like and will cause drooling, that being said there are two toads that are poisonous to dogs. The Colorado River toad and the Giant toad. Symptoms would be Depression, fever, vomiting , Extreme weakness, breathing problems, seizures, diarrhea and heart arrhythmia.

If your dog is acting fine and eating and drinking, he probably just got a lasting bad taste in his mouth.

Here is more on toad toxicity.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/toad-toxicity-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.