Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an 11 year old min. schnauzer. She has what I thought

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old min. schnauzer. She has what I thought were age spots along her inner thighs and tummy. Now she is biting at them and they are flaking. She was just at the vet for her yearly check-up and all was ok. Is this normal? Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lily.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: She hasn't been eating much lately. Otherwise, she still goes to the bathroom as normal on her walks. It's in the 90's here in Fl., so could the heat have something to do with that?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

By age spots, do you mean she is getting dark pigmented spots where she is itching?

Any pimples/pustules on her skin?

Any recent changes to her diet (ie new treats, different brands or flavors)?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dark pigmented spots. No pimples/pustules at all or I'd have rushed to back to the vetI I DID change dog foods in the last 2 weeks. I don't know how to take a photo, probably the last person on earth without a cell phone!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She also does not have any bad odor at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries,

I am glad to hear that there isn't any, but with the crusting we'd be concerned of a possible Staph bacterial skin infection, ringworm (which is why I asked for a photo to check for), or possible secondary dander from an itchy allergic dermatitis. And if you did change her food 2 weeks ago, then that certainly could trigger the issues we are seeing.

With this in mind, we do want to start some supportive care for her. I suspect the dark pigmented spots are just hyperpigmentation (a reaction to skin irritation) and it can fade if we can get the irritation away. In regards ***** ***** so, I'd suggest switching back to her old food that we know she tolerated. Ideally, we'd wean her over to this over a few days since we don't want to cause GI upset. Once we do, it can take up to 6 weeks for the protein allergens to leave the skin, but the sooner we switch the better.

In the meantime, we can start her on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if she is severely itchy, then her vet can dispense a stronger or injectable treatment to soothe her skin.

Finally, we'd want to be cleansing this ares to avoid and address infection. To do so, it'd be ideal to use OTC dilute chlorohexidine since this is good for treating fungal and bacterial agents. We can wash this 2-3 times daily, pat dry, and use an OTC antibiotic cream +/- anti-fungal to cover our bases. And if she is licking/itching, she may need an e-collar for the short term +/- a shirt or boxers to cover her skin and protect it from harm.

Overall, these would be our concerns for what you have described. The dark pigment is just a side effect but we can start the above to address our suspects and try to soothe her skin over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much. Am heading to the kitchen for Benadryl! I had rubbed some anti-itch cream on her and she fell asleep!! I'll clean the area when she wakes up! Yay!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that she was able to settle (since some dogs can be so irritated they just cannot even get any rest). In that case, we can let her rest and use those supportive measures once she is awake.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet