Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She ate my pain pils Friday only a couple but hasn't eaten

Customer Question

she ate my pain pils Friday only a couple but hasn't eaten since then...is walking around and actiong normal but won't eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella year and a half staford bull
JA: How old is Bella year?
Customer: 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella year?
Customer: no...she is very healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What pain pills were they? What milligram?

How much does she weigh?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she ate 3 8mg Buprenorphine pills Friday morning...she is walking around wanting to go outside but hasn't eaten or drank water that I've seen. It's Sunday morning and need to know will she start eating again after the meds wear off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
8 mg buprenorphine I think it was 2 or 3 pills she ate on Friday...she ate the bottle also. She hasn't thrown up only had the runs and that was on Friday morning...she moans a lot on Friday but today she walks around like she Ok but won't eat or drink water.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if she had Buprenorphine Friday, we'd not assume it was playing a role here. This is because it is a dog safe drug (though this sounds like it may have been a high dose) and usually only causes sedation for 24-48 hours. Of course, if it was a preparation meant to dissolve in your mouth, her eating it could have countered its effects to sedate her. So, I do think this is a red herring in regards ***** ***** appetite loss.

Still, we can try some supportive care to see if we can get her eating. To start, we can counter nausea for her with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, do try tempting her to eat. Favorites are allowed but you can also try her with a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. This will help with nausea but also diarrhea if that has persisted.

Overall her signs aren't actually consistent with her eating this medication. So, we'd be more wary of a brewing gut infection, ingestion of something harmful or a dietary indiscretion. So, we'd want to use the above to try to soothe her stomach and get her eating again for you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her gums are pink and she doesn't seem to have a belly issue
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Good, I am glad those are normal since changes with those 2 parameters often are signs of an emergency issue. With those aside, we'd again want to start the above to see if we can break her fast.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can she go a few days without food and water ??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Dogs can be without food for a few days without harm (as opposed to cats or rabbits), but it isn't ideal. So, do try the above or since she isn't vomiting you can syringe feed her watered down puppy food or a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure) to keep her getting nutrition over the weekend.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )