Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog's back is very sensitive, particularly around her

Customer Question

My dog's back is very sensitive, particularly around her shoulders and the top end.
She was at the vet, who gave her anti biotic pills and an injection. This helped for about a month, but is back.
She had flacky skin, I've been brushing her, keeping it clear.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco is a very small dog and is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: We took her for her heart worm and annual vaccination. We treat her monthly with a flea repellent. She sleeps with us & does not have fleas
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long this been ongoing?

Do you mean sensitive as in sore or irritated/itchy?

Any pimples or pustules in the skin?

Any changes in her diet prior to these signs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, in response to your question:This has been going on for about 4-5 months.
When I stroke her back her skin "crawls" and her leg starts a scratching action. I don't think it's sore.
No pimples, but there was flaky skin, which cleared up after the vet had given medication, however the itching has come back.
She has had change to her diet,but, I went back to her original diet.
I got some dog calming cream with aloe and oats and this seems to help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

If you are seeing scratching action when stroking her, this raises concerns of skin irritation (ie allergies) but could also be seen with nerve issues. And while the flaky skin does make skin irritation most suspect, if she is scratching the area after stimulation then that could just be a side effect.

Now your approach so far has been very reasonable. Though if Coco is relapsing then it suggests that the original issue is still ongoing. So, its good you have switched back to a food you know she tolerated (though it can take 6 weeks for protein allergens to leave the skin). From there though, while you could ring her vet for another course of treatment, I'd note that you could try her on an OTC antihistamine.

Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if her signs can be managed with these, they are a fine option to use as needed or for as long as needed to keep them settled.

Otherwise, I would suggest also considering supplementing her with essential fatty acids (EFAs). These are OTC as well (ie Omega 3 fish oil, Viacutin, Yumega, etc) from pet stores, vets, online and even health food stores. These are a critical part of the skin cells and their use will help with her flaking but also can reduce irritation in the skin to help keep them settled.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns but these would be our top suspicions. And since she sounds more irritated with her skin, we'd want to use the above alongside your home care to see if we can get her settled and comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )