Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii

She is moaning a lot, and 11 years old. her blood work shows

Customer Question

she is moaning a lot, and 11 years old.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: her blood work shows nothing, had a slight elevated temp. so put her on antibilotic, and she got a little pep, but not back moaning, lie she is depressed.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: wren
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about wren?
Customer: no, thought life, survived eating decon, and also being bitten by rattle snake.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

I do have a few questions for you.

Did your vet have any idea why Wren is moaning?

How long has she been doing this?

Was it a slow or rapid onset?

Is she still eating? urinating? defecating?

Any vomiting?

Take a few minutes to answer ALL of the questions.

She sounds like a wonder dog having survived the Decon and rattlesnake.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is not eating much, have to give treats, or canned food mixed with dry to get her to eat. The vet did not know. Her blood work was OK, other than the slight elevated temp. So gave her a pain pill, as she was walking tough, arthritus, and an antibilotic. seemed to come on in the past month. sleeping and lying around a lot more than normal. however, still wags her tail. no vomiting. if she had cancer, would it not show with the blood work with elevated white count?

Which painkiller was she given? Did it help?

Most cancers are not diagnosed by blood work. More commonly we use physical signs, palpations and x-rays to diagnose cancer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i cannot remember and I have used it up a few weeks ago. I think it was round white. one. Sorry. So do we spend money at 11 years old plus for X-rays?and what area?

I cannot do a physical online. You have to let your vet do that. If x-rays are needed let him discuss his plan.

If it sounds like an expensive procedure talk to your vet about your finances, about her prognosis considering her age.

Don't do anything for Wren until this is all clear to you. You've had her for a long time and hopefully the problem can be solved within your budget.

Sometimes we have to consider euthanasia which is the final kindness we can give our beloved pets.

I hope that i have answered your concerns. Please feel free to continue this dialog if you have more questions.

If you feel that we are finished, kindly rate this service.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand. This is what we are thinking. We do not want PAIN for her! Thank you.

Trust your feelings. You know her better than anyone.

You are very welcome!