Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My pug who weighs 30 pounds just ate a plum pit what can I

Customer Question

My pug who weighs 30 pounds just ate a plum pit what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello Anna,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll wait for your response

No problem Anna, just typing out your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. With a dog of your Pug's weight it is possible that the plum pit will just pass normally, it is a nasty job I know but it might be an idea to check your dog's faeces over the next few days just to make sure this has happened.

2. With just one pit there would be no risk in terms of toxicity, but if the pit was swallowed whole and not crunched up there is a chance of intestinal tract obstruction, if this happens then extensive abdominal surgery is required to correct the situation. Obstructions of this nature tend to present with symptoms such as serial vomiting and your dog will also become anorexic and lethargic and may well show abdominal pain. Of course if you are in any doubt that an obstruction has happened then you should have a vet check your dog over without delay.

3. Given the drastic nature of corrective surgery the best precaution you can take right now would be to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the plum pit that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Pug's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I didn't see him eat it but there was one there, so I don't know if he chewed it or not but I'll try the hydrogen peroxide _ Thank you again.

That sounds like a wise precaution.

Please get back to me if I can advise further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Anna,

I am just checking back in to see how your Pug is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plum pit incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.