PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My black lab has a wart on the inside of his eye lid. It

Customer Question

My black lab has a wart on the inside of his eye lid. It been there for years now that eye is swelling up. Is there something we could do for him . It was fine all day and then about a hour ago it puffed right up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear he 7 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: No he healthy and very active
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Any clear pictures of the eyes and warts?
2) Is it ones eyes or both that puffed up?
3) Is he on any meds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1.) Couldn't get a good picture
2.)1 left eye
3.) Not Meds

Look like this? http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/alashmeib.jpg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but on the upper lid

Chances are that these are meiboman gland tumors that are benign. There's little that can be done at home aside from monitoring, however these tumors do tend to grow slowly. The largest risk comes if they begin rubbing the eye. In some cases, the vet will want to anesthetize the pet and remove them. Sometimes they're small enough to be removed with just a local anesthetic into the eyelid and remove the pet while they're awake. The smaller the better, otherwise the pet may not be able to receive this service while they're awake.

Most of these are benign and don't require any major treatment. Regardless, they remain unsightly if not removed and can keep growing so removal when smaller is most ideal but treatment at any size if bothering the eye itself.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His whole eye is swelling tonight.

Unfortunately, without a detailed picture I can't tell if that's due to the wart or due to allergies. I can give you some instructions to try at home to see if this may be allergic reaction-related. However, if you don't see an improvement within a few hours, he's going to need to be examined. It's possible this has become large enough to cause irritation in the eye and swelling.

The allergy treatment is 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl by mouth every 8-12 hours as needed.