Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

She is in heat. trying to breed male not interested but she

Customer Question

she is in heat. trying to breed male not interested but she seems to be
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: she is in heat. just stopped bleeding has straw drainage. male stud not interested. hoping didnt miss window...
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: the bleeding is her heat. my questions are regarding breeding
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Let me give you the necessary information and if you still have questions let me know. You may already know some of this but I'd rather give you too much than not enough.

A few key things is that the female needs to be in the right stage of heat and also needs to be brought into the males territory for mating and not the other way around. Male dogs become sexually mature around 6-7 months of age so he is old enough.

To breed successfully you need to understand the heat cycle. I have explained it below and included a site that has a pictorial guide so there is no mistake what stage of heat your girl is in.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog.

Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

Now if the male is experienced then he will know when the right stage of heat is. If she is the dominant dog of the house, he may not feel confident enough to mate. Also if he was brought to her, he might need time to adjust to the situation in order to mate or have her brought to his house.

If you definitely want to breed, then you could take both dogs to your vet and have her tested to ensure she is in the right stage of heat and if she is, have artificial insemination done. It really isn't that expensive and at least you know she has a good chance of becomine pregnant.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is on day 17 and just turned to straw like drainage. Placed her button up flagged and puckered at him and he didn't flinch...

Flagging usually is a good sign that she is ready. Sorry for the delay, there was a bit of an emergency I had to attend to. If it just turned straw like then it may take him a day or so, but day 17 is pretty late but not totally abnormal. See if he doesn't get some interest in the next two days or so.

Remember what I mentioned about taking the female to the males territory if he is not your dog. If she is the alpha of the two and he is your dog, then you might want to consider artificial insemination if you definitely want her pregnant this heat cycle.

When I have a very dominant female, I separate the male into his own space for a couple of months before she goes into heat and then put her into his territory so she is more submissive to him for mating purposes. Then I let nature take its course. Also some dogs do not like being watched. I've sat with a stud owner for hours with no results just to walk inside for 5 minutes to come back to a tie. So you might give them some privacy and watch from the window. This is especially true if a male has been reprimanded for humping legs and inanimate objects. He starts associating humping in front of the owner with reprimands.