Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

A yorkie has a flea infestation on his whole body, we have

Customer Question

a yorkie has a flea infestation on his whole body, we have bathed him twice now. but he is leatharge and will not eat or drink his tounge is kind of yellow looking and so is his little peepee. Is there something we can do for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Yorkie, and so am I. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You can get a product called Capstar; that will kill all the fleas on him, is very safe, but only lasts 24 hours. You need to put a good, safe, long lasting flea product that keeps killing fleas on him, such as Advantage, or Frontline, or the Seresto collar.

The yellow color to his tongue is extremely concerning. Do the whites of his eyes look yellow? This could be jaundice and that can be very serious. It could be that that fleas have sucked so much blood from him that he is anemic, or that the fleas have infected him with a disease causing the jaundice. Or he could have liver disease, or a serious blood problem called hemolysis.

He really needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible if he is jaundiced. This could even be life threatening.

Let me know if you have more questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response.

Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I always wonder when I never hear back from a customer if my response was heard, or helpful. How is your Yorkie doing?