Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

If my dog is on 650mg relexine and is weak and lethargic

Customer Question

if my dog is on 650mg relexine and is weak and lethargic should I stop the dosage? 97 lb Golden Retriever
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

If you can associate Ben's weakness and lethargy to the inception of his being dosed with cephalexin (Relexine), yes, it would be prudent to discontinue administering it and then letting Ben's vet know you did so. If that antibiotic were responsible for his behavior, you would see normalizing within 48 hours. Adverse effects with the cephalosporins such as cephalexin are usually not serious and have a relatively low frequency of occurrence. GI effects (anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea) are most common.

650 mg is a small dose for Ben. I might initiate therapy at 10 mg/lb (1000 mg for Ben) twice daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ben. How is everything going?