Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He ate appox 30-50 xynax .5 milligram he is a appox 50lb 7

Customer Question

he ate appox 30-50 xynax .5 milligram he is a appox 50lb 7 month old golden retriver he is having a hard time standing and is sweating alot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bear?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

While benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax) are generally well-tolerated by dogs, I might dose a 50 lb dog at no more than 0.025 mg/lb or 1.25 mg for Bear. 50 x 0.5 mg = 25 mg - an egregious overdose likely to cause central nervous system depression but life-threatening signs in dogs are rare. You mustn't induce emesis in a dog who is already symptomatic. It would be prudent to have Bear decontaminated by his vet instead who is likely to "pump Bear's stomach" and then administer activated charcoal. (The decision to give activated charcoal should be weighed carefully as in some cases the risk of activated charcoal may outweigh the benefit.)

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what your saying is just wait it out and he should be ok he just now laid down and is calm and i think he is going to sleep he is still breathing and has a heartbeat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its been at least 2 hours since he first ate them

I would prefer that he be monitored in a hospital setting. Historically, these dogs come through this OK but I'd be more comfortable knowing that a vet continued to check Bear's vital signs until it was clear that he's out of the woods. Do you have a 24-hour facility available to you to which you could bring Bear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no we dont but he seems to be getting his wits about him back is it ok for him to go to sleep

Yes, let him sleep. In humans, at least, peak plasma levels occur in 1-2 hours. Elimination half-lives range from 6-27 hours in humans and so his symptoms might persist for quite some time. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok i got my fingers crossed this dog has saved my live in so mant ways from everything thaths been happening in my live thank you

You're quite welcome. Keep me posted, please.