PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My little shytzu shakes and sometimes fall down,he eats

Customer Question

My little shytzu shakes and sometimes fall down,he eats normal and drinks normal,11yrs old,some days are better than others,still chases his toy,jumps up on the couch,but I did notice after his haircut that he was shaking more than normal,I do know his shoulders are a little tender,cause when you touch his front legs he will flinch a little
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Tuff on any medications aside from glucosamine?
2) Any x-rays to check for spinal or joint abnormalities?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for responding. Tuff is not on any medication and has no x-rays

Thank you for your reply, Jason. I apologize greatly for the delay. Somehow your reply did not show up for me until just now.

Because Tuff is 12 years of age, I would recommend having an evaluation performed and perhaps also some x-rays obtained. At this age, he's likely dealing with some arthritis and regardless of what the 'common issues' are for such a breed, we are often able to give some relief with canine-safe NSAIDs and pain medications. The x-rays would be useful in determining if the shoulders are primarily the issue or also the spine and other joints. It's not uncommon for us to see that dogs are tender with symptoms of shaking when pain sets in, which is why I am urging you to pursue having your vet prescribe something to make him more comfortable. It's obvious to me with the shaking and flinching behaviors that he is not comfortable.

Your vet may recommend rimadyl, metacam, or a similar NSAID and may wish to try something like tramadol for pain, if needed. It's common to start with NSAIDs and add medication for pain later, if needed. Often we see that pets respond within 12 hours of their first dosage, too, and continue to improve once daily doses are given.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Jason,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tuff. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy