Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She's coughing and sounds like weezing, It's been on and off

Customer Question

She's coughing and sounds like weezing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: It's been on and off all day
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Just now the coughs were deeper and she was,trying to get something up
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. How old and which breed is she, please? Coughing due to a simple respiratory infection is more of a concern in young dogs while such coughing as you've described in an older dog is more likely due to congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD), or neoplasia (caner) in the chest cavity.