How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dave Your Own Question
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4125
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a few chocolate covered pretzels. Should I be

Customer Question

My dog ate a few chocolate covered pretzels. Should I be worried? She's a 10lb poodle mix
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your poodle will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your poodle?
Customer: She's 6 years old with no health conditions
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

What kind of chocolate was on the pretzels (milk, dark, white)?

About how much would you say that she ate?

How long ago did she eat them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Milk. My niece said she only had about 3 left sitting on the Ottoman that were missing.....then she saw then dog licking her lips and hiding
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 30 min ago
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your reply.

This should not be a problem with your little girl. That is a small amount of chocolate for her to eat, and milk chocolate is not as potentially toxic compared to dark chocolate...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! Should I give her extra water? Or food?
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 10 months ago.

I would just keep an eye on her over the next 24 hours for any abnormal symptoms -- vomiting, diarrhea, acting restless. If the symptoms persist for more than a couple hours, she should be examined by a veterinarian. BUT, she should likely be just fine.

You can give her extra water - that would be fine to do. Extra food would not hurt anything, but she should not need it. The extra water may be beneficial, though.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 10 months ago.

You're very welcome - glad to be here to help out!

I hope you have a great rest of the weekend.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 9 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dave
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 9 months ago.

Hello,

If my information was helpful to you, would you please rate my service (ideally a "5 star"), so I get compensated for my time. Thank you so much, and I hope everything is going well.

Dr. Dave