How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 23849
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate 1 oz of 85% dark chocolate. We gave her 1 tsp of

Customer Question

She ate 1 oz of 85% dark chocolate. We gave her 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide and she hasn't vomited.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tali, age 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tali?
Customer: She weighs 50 lbs; no other health issues
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

At 50 lbs of weight, Tali would have needed to ingest ~1/8 of an ounce of 85% dark chocolate per pound of body weight to become intoxicated by the theobromine in that chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors in dogs. That would be equivalent to ~6 ounces of that chocolate. There's no need to induce emesis. Tali might experience transient gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting such an unusual food but she wasn't intoxicated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Questions