Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

He is having a hard time opening his one eye and when he

Customer Question

He is having a hard time opening his one eye and when he does his eyeball looks very red. He has been pawing at his face for a few days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tug?
Customer: He just got back from getting neutered on Saturday
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Please attach a clear photo or two of the eye.
2) Has he been pawing at the eye since Saturday?
3) How long since the eye was not bothering him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been pawing since Monday. I didn't think it was his eye bothering him he was sneezing today and itchy yesterday but just pawing at his face I thought maybe allergies

Allergies are very possible, but we need to also consider that something could be in that eye. Typically allergies result in both eyes having at least some grade of issue, not just one.

Is he on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No he is not

Because this has been going on for an extended period of time and you already know that the eye is irritated, I would recommend a visit to the vet to be sure that there is not something that has collected in the eye. We often see even small things like dust, small pieces of leaves, etc. can be blown up into the eye outside. Your vet will want to ensure there's no corneal ulceration or damage and then give medication to decrease the irritation.

Failing this, you can also try antihistamines at home. He can take 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours. The swelling should decrease greatly in the first two dosings. If it does not, chances are it's not the direct reason for the irritation and it will necessitate seeing your vet once again.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not really. I'm disappointed I paid $5 for nothing very helpful so it's not saving us an emotional trip to the vet.

I'll have the website process a refund for you. Best of luck with your companion.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I noticed that your question was still open and I wondered if you could provide an update on your dog? is he still having this eye issue? Did you ever take him into the vet? If not, I can try to be of assistance. I am a licensed veterinarian and I would love to help you and your dog if you still need advice.

Best regards,

Dr. Ellie