Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My large male dog vomits and has diarrhea once every 28 to

Customer Question

my large male dog vomits and has diarrhea once every 28 to 30 days during new moon period. It lasts three days then he is fine for rest of days. What could cause this periodic illness? He only gets dry Purina dog food, I stopped all treats or people food trying to find cause.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Interesting. I'm going to be honest here and say that medically there shouldn't be anything that would cause this type of vomiting schedule. To be honest, the most common cause of infrequent vomiting and diarrhea like this is something that he's eating / getting that he's having a reaction too. Could he be reacting to a monthly flea or heart worm preventative? That is something that happens pretty much on that schedule you are saying. If it isn't this, then is he finding something that just "rocks" his gut for that period of time and then he gets over it. I know you say your eliminating food / treats / etc., but could he be still finding something? Something outside? Mushrooms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has an enclosed yard and no mushrooms. I had suspected UPS and FedEx but ruled that out this last time as I had no deliveries. He does not take any medications. I do not use flea or tick treatments,as there are none here for him to get. I did use it in Arkansas before moving to Montana. Could the move cause such a problem. We have been here over a year. He was an outside dog until I moved and that is when I noticed his problem. I have another dog that is never bothered by illness.

Is he on a monthly heartworm preventative? That is good that he's got that controlled of an environment. Good thought on the delivery situation with a treat being given at that time. Any chance some other guest is coming that could be giving him something?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think anyone is giving him treats with exception of the delivery guys. Like I said, the other dog, a smaller terrier mix, never gets sick. If there is no medical reason, should I worry? He appears healthy otherwise and always has a good appetite. It is this once a month period that troubles me.

I wouldn't be overly worried about this as long as it is that infrequent, he's recovering nicely from it, he's otherwise eating / drinking / playing normally, he's not losing weight, etc... My guess is again he's finding something to cause this. Medically I can't think of anything that would fit this.