Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Sally my 5 month old golden retriever ate a wooly bear

Customer Question

Hello Sally my 5 month old golden retriever ate a wooly bear caterpillar and he got sick from it earlier but right before he went to bed I noticed his throat was either dried up or possibly slightly swollen. He's asleep now and is breathing 15-17 breaths per minute. Do you think I need to take him to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, wooly bear caterpillars tend to be more irritating to the stomach, throat, and mouth then truly toxic. Therefore, we could see throat swelling and vomiting from the irritation. Now since his breathing rate was very normal and he could settle, this wasn't an emergency situation. Instead, we'd want to let him sleep off the inflammation (if severe then the local vet can start dog safe anti-inflammatories). Otherwise any more nausea and we can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you find him too nauseous to keep this down, then that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if we can keep him settled, we can start a soft, light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). These can be given for a few days as the throat settles after this unwise ingestion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )