PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a small yorkie poo. He fell two days ago falling

Customer Question

I have a small yorkie poo. He fell two days ago falling short while jumping on a step. he hit his head pretty hard. He has puked twice and had blood in his stool. He is acting normal, playful, hyper and barking. Hes been drinking plenty of water but doesn't appear to be eating as much as usual. I have called two vets offices, they advised he should be ok. My girlfriend just called and stated he puked again. Being the 2nd time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did and eat anything unusual?
Customer: I gave him treat after he hit his head. which I haven't given him in a while
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about and?
Customer: Not that I'm aware'
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Head trauma often does result in some nausea that follows. If it persists, having him examined would be the most ideal approach. There are medications that can be used to help calm the nausea. Because he's so small, I wouldn't wait too long before intervening with him not eating well (if that's the case). Try hand-feeding some canned food or try pureed baby food in chicken or turkey flavors. Once he's eating well, some canned pumpkin (not the pie filler) can be added in to help with the blood in his stool.

You can also try giving him 0.5mg/pound of pepcid by mouth every 12-24 hours to help calm the stomach. Wait about 2 hours after a dose of the pepcid to feed him. You can find the pepcid OTC in the human pharmacy section of the store.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy