PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My almost 9 year old male Rottweiler is bleeding from his

Customer Question

My almost 9 year old male Rottweiler is bleeding from his private part. It has happened in the past, but usually a few drops for a few days and then it quits. This time seems to be a lot more blood. He has had health issues for the past 4 years where he has been taking steroids. Could that be a factor?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Rottweiler?
Customer: He has a very sensitive stomach and it gurgles a lot, sometimes making him throw up. I'm afraid he is getting old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is the blood coming from the prepuce or the penis itself?
2) Is your companion intact?
3) Has a urinalysis, blood work and/or x-rays been performed at the time you were seeing blood?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1) Penis
2.) Yes
3) No

Steroids can certainly be contributing to the gurgling noises that you're hearing but they are unlikely to be the direct cause of the blood in the urine. At 9 years of age and intact, blood from the penis can mean anything from a urinary tract infection to cancer.

The fastest means of diagnosing what is wrong here will be having an exam performed, blood work, a urinalysis and possibly x-rays if your vet suspects stones/wants to check for obvious neoplasia, etc. Chances are that your companion will be placed on antibiotics and a diet change may be recommended, the cause will determine the treatment.

While you're concerned about his age, know that blood from the penis and in the urine is not uncommon in dogs and that we can see a complete resolution of symptoms very quickly with treatment if this is something minor.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He hates the vet, muzzles don't work and they have to knock him out just to examine him. I was hoping there might be something I could do for him at home. Thank you for trying.

If he doesn't like going to the vet, consider having one come to your home. Mobile vets have long been an option for people who own animals who simply cannot handle the added stress of car travel, being in an unfamiliar place, etc. Unfortunately, one way or the other, the vet is likely to have to get involved here. If he does have a UTI or, worse, crystals or stones, there's a very good chance that one of the stones or sludge in his bladder could block his ability to urinate which would necessitate a vet coming to him. Then, instead of preventive measures, it's likely either going to be a necessary surgery or euthanasia.

If you absolutely have no method of getting him to the vet, I would switch him over to a food by Royal Canin that has the urinary SO index present. This can help prevent crystal formation and while it may not fully take away the symptoms (because we really don't know what is wrong here), it most certainly can help if crystals are a concern.

I hope your companion does well in whatever route you choose.